Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Greene-Jones Feud

While I am on the topic of feuding I might as well reveal the rest of my family history by stating that along with being a Hatfield descendant, I am also a descendant of the Greene - Jones feud (1880's) which occurred in Upper East Tennessee (Hancock County) about the same time as the Hatfield-McCoy feud.  Like the Hatfield-McCoy feud, this feud lasted many years and stemmed from the same issues; end of the Civil War, many psychologically wounded soldiers returning back to their mountain homes only to confront those who had fought opposite them in battle, a young and poorly managed court system, and competition for land and resources. Also worthy of mention is the fact that East Tennessee chose to fight with the Union while the rest of Tennessee fought with the Confederates.  Throughout the war many families,  neighbors, and relatives fought for opposite sides. It was the making of a perfect storm.

The Greene-Jones war is largely tied to my Great, Great Uncle Link (Lincoln) Greene, a very odd man with a lot of distrust and grudges to settle. I only knew him through the family stories told about him. Uncle Link was ‘odd’ which meant he ‘acted funny’ in many business and social situations.  He was considered violent, mean, and quite strange.  One story describes him making his own coffin for later use and showing off how well he looked in it when visitors came by. Other ‘Uncle Link’ stories involved him asking relatives to chain him up during the full moon so he would not kill anyone. Another involved him dressing like Jesus and having a group of ‘disciples’. Still another focused on him refusing to talk to some of his children for 20 years. During the 1929 depression Uncle Link was the only person to get his money out of the Sneedville Bank because he got word that banks were failing and immediately arrived at the bank with shotgun in hand and demanded his money. It was handed over. 

Uncle Link was considered to be the "Devil Anse" of the Greeme-Jones Feud.  He was noted for stirring up trouble and getting even.  From the 1880's until the 1920's this war claimed a total of 70 lives and resulted in Hancock County  being placed under Marshal Law for a period of seven year.  While many of the events of the Greene-Jones war parallel the Hatfield-McCoy feud the one thing that distinguished these feuds from each other was that the New York Times did not report on the feud as it had in the Hatfield-McCoy feud, therefore, the Greene-Jones feud went relatively unnoticed by the rest of the world.

As an adolescent hearing these stories from our family historian, I hardly knew how to process the facts.  Also I did not know how to manage my last name of Hatfield when everyone mentioned that feud.  There was a long period of time when I hated saying my last name, and by the time I married I was more than glad to be rid of the name for good. As it turned out I ended up marrying one of the "Greene's" and learned from this same family historian that we were distant relatives.  It has taken me the better part of fifty years to try to understand who I am and how historical events and isolated geographical areas shape personal lives.  As my husband and I try to explain all of this to our now grown children, I sometimes feel that they are pretty bewildered by it all as well. One thing that no longer surprises me, however, is understanding that I probably chose psychology and psychotherapy as a career in order to learn how to solve problems without shooting my relatives. 

 www.patsyhatfieldlawson.com

11 comments:

  1. Patsy, I have enjoyed reading your blog. My former husband was a Trent . His family was from Trent Valley. His great grandfather, Daniel George Trent, who married Serena Wolfe, came to Oklahoma with all their children. I'm researching the family. I purchased Thelma Cloud Odom's book back in the 1970's and was just looking at it today. I was interested in the Greene/Jones feud. How interesting that you are of the Hatfields feud! There is a Jemima McCoy that married into the Wolfe family. It's all so interesting,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been researching this feud because I'm also a Greene descendant. I've been trying to separate fact from folklore, and the point you've made here about martial law was one of the things I researched.

    Did you know that martial law is actually forbidden in the TN state constitution? From what I can tell, it always has been. Not only does it forbid punishing citizens under martial law, it forbids anyone in any government office from declaring it. (Article 1, section 25)

    Another fact you might find interesting is that the Militia is controlled exclusively by the General Assembly. The Governor is not allowed to send the Militia anywhere. Only the legislature can do that with a majority vote. I checked the congressional records for the time period of the feud, and I didn't find any evidence that the Militia was sent to Hancock County.

    I've created a timeline of my research you may find interesting. Included on it are all of the newspaper citations for the articles I used to piece the stories of the feud together. http://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline/latest/embed/index.html?source=0AtseLHbQnCzhdGxDYzhUZkhyOHQzUGNMeUx6bWhXS0E&font=Bevan-PotanoSans&maptype=toner&lang=en&height=650

    Good luck!
    Heather Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather I would be very interested on your findings of this feud.My great-great grandmother was killed from a gunshot wound in 1879 (family lore said it happened during a feud as a stray bullet came through a window and struck her in the head). She was a Rhea by birth and a Parten/Partin by marriage. She was only 30 years old. I have always wondered what feud it was and why her family was targeted. Her husband (my great-great grandfather ) was known for saying that his brothers-in-law aka The Rhea boys, were mean as snakes. I would be most interested to see your information if you would allow it. My personal email is jtpenny87@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Heather I would be very interested on your findings of this feud.My great-great grandmother was killed from a gunshot wound in 1879 (family lore said it happened during a feud as a stray bullet came through a window and struck her in the head). She was a Rhea by birth and a Parten/Partin by marriage. She was only 30 years old. I have always wondered what feud it was and why her family was targeted. Her husband (my great-great grandfather ) was known for saying that his brothers-in-law aka The Rhea boys, were mean as snakes. I would be most interested to see your information if you would allow it. My personal email is jtpenny87@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi, my name is Brenda Greene Jolly. I am part of this family. My daddy was a Greene and his family lived in Hancock County,TN. One of his cousins, Clifford, I cannot remember his last name did much research of the families genealogy and actually wrote a book on our family history. Clifford lived in Sneedville,TN. That was th first time I had known about the Greene -Jones war. While visiting the Museum of East TN History in downtown Knoxville a few years ago my husband and I saw they had a white shirt on display worn by one of the Greene's that has a bullet hole in it and a small bloodstain. It spoke of the feud. Was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to my dad I'm tied in with this all also. Although I guess I'm pretty lucky considering he's the 'elder' family historian. A wonderful article (although I'm a little late to the party,lol) and just more history to add to my families drama filled past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just started doing research on this subject. My aunt knows more about it. I'm related on the Jones side.
    Very interesting stuff. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a direct descendant of Joel Greene. My ancestory goes from hi. To his son Hamp Greene to his son Daniel Greene to his son Hampton Greene to his son Eugene to his daughter, then my mother then me. Your stories are wonderful and greatly enjoyed. I've been working on my family tree for quite some time. I found a picture of my mamaws papaw "ILL WILL" as they all called him. Found out where I got my looks from, down to the hateful expression that I can never shake lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been trying to find my great grandfather Murphy Greens libe for years...born appr 1859 in Tennessee, married my grandmother Margarett Wells UN Missouri in 1885, they lived in clay county Texas 1887, Indian territory Oklahoma 1890, then Arizona and he disappeared...I’ve found a Murphy married to Mary Seals 1880 in Hawkins county but no idea if he’s my Murphy? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated l!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I’m related to the Greene side through my mother (maiden name). I’m trying to piece together some lineage. I’d like to connect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrence Pratt there's alot of us! My mamaw's maiden name is Greene. Hamp Greene is my 4th great grandfather.

      Delete